Monday, February 8, 2010

"love bombs"


"Thanks for calling The Cupcake Shoppe, this is Liza."
 

I honestly couldn't tell you how many times a day I answer the phone this way, with perk mind you. But, to answer a commonly asked question, I do know that on average The Cupcake Shoppe bakes around 1000 cupcakes a day.

It's ok, bring your jaw back up into place as you begin to imagine the impressive amount of cute individual size cakes that are not only being made each day, but are all made from scratch. Now lick that icing.

Easily today, as always, food businesses have the option of "crapping out", my way of saying, putting out a cheap product by taking the quickest route possible. It is happening in Raleigh, but I will tell you, not at The Cupcake Shoppe.


I know this because when I get to work at 9am, and greet Tom, the baker, with a "good morning", I get a roll of the eyes, but as usual he can't resist my cheer and smirks back "good morning". His morning has come and gone. He has already made and scooped batters, and baked off hundreds of cupcakes by now, and is about to ice the first round to fill the deli case by open time.  Tom may not want to admit it, but each day as he rises before the sun and comes in to bake, he is creating what for the rest of the day will be a delight for others and so often, a gift of love.




One can find in every great city, a cupcake shop.  And it is no surprise that my city of Raleigh, which is well on its way to greatness, has one of its own.  People wonder, but I know first hand, why cupcakes are off the charts in popularity.

Every day, when I hand over Pretty in Pinks, Big Reds, Mint Conditions, You Mocha me Crazies, and other favorite flavors, in perfect white boxes, you tell me... it's for a birthday of course, she just had her baby, I have a new neighbor, I want to say thank you, It's for my girlfriend, I'm going home, my hair dresser loves the Cookie Monster, and my absolute favorite, "I'm treating myself".

This is why cupcakes shine over their bigger counter part, the cake. It makes me laugh to imagine in all these situations, handing over to someone a big cake. Cupcakes are just enough. They are just enough to eat and are just enough thought to show that you care. They say thanks, they say congratulations, they say...

I love you.



We all love them and love to give them. Thanks to The Cupcake Shoppe, this Valentine's Day, you can share them with the ones you love.  And know this boyfriends, chocolates may not be out this year, but for the ladies, cupcakes are in.

You can pre-order The Valentine's Day gift pack, just $12

This weekend, I will be there serving, boxing, and ringing up cupcakes. And it is not just Valentine's Day that will be making it special for me. It is my one year anniversary. I started just a year ago and it alone has been a gift. Come see me and share the love. And if you ask me my favorite, I will always say the carrot cake.

2 comments:

  1. Liza,
    I love how you talk about these cupcakes! My mouth is watering now. I especially like the previous post---about how all of our jobs fit together and we do it all for love. I too agree. I find that the older I get, the more I appreciate everyone doing their job, in their niche, happy to be whatever, whoever they are. Cheers and cupcake icing to youuuu!
    ~Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, happy anniversary! Great post, and I love that you put Tom in it! =)

    ReplyDelete