Friday, February 12, 2010

hearts and bones



Do you want a treat?
 
 

We are in the thick of it now.  The runaround.  It's unavoidable. Pink and red hearts are hanging from the ceiling and can be seen in the eyes of the ones most devoted to the big V day! 

Even if that is not you, or me, it can't be ignored this week, the question of love. So I got to thinking about who really is the most deserving of my effort this year. I realized, the most unconditional love that I have in my life, is always the most overlooked during this showy celebration of the heart.

There are many ways to show someone how much you love them. But my belief is that it is in the every day. It is human nature, however, to fail this. Even in the greatest of loves, the ability to depend on another fully is impossible. But if you are as lucky as I am, there is a love that one can count on. It is there each day and it never disappoints. It is a love that keeps growing, and never seems to stall, or end. It doesn't get hard or complicated, and it is always appreciated.

A dog's love. Nelson's love. He has little hearts in his eyes year round for me. No matter what I'm doing, or mistakes I'm making, he is by my side. He has been with me through every move and geez, three boyfriends. When I first met the little buddy at the Orange County shelter, his tail between his legs, he was not the pick of the litter. But, he was the one. 

I love and hug him the most, so it is he, that will be getting treats this Valentine's day. He is my pick. And I won't even make him sit for them!

(Nelson with his "brothers" Trump and little Beso, 2006)

To show your love for the pup in your life, read more for the all-natural, Liza lou tested and Nelson approved, hearts and bones treats.


Ingredients:
makes enough treats to share

6 cups oats, not instant, soaked
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 carton or 4 cups beef broth
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
1 pkg of bacon, cooked to perfection, grease drained and reserved
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
pinch of salt
1 cup flour



Method:

The night before, or at  least 6 hours prior, mix the oats with the buttermilk and allow to soak, covered, at room temperature. (Doing this allows for better digestion of the oats and absorption of the nutrients. Also, will make oats lighter and puffier.)

When oats and you are ready, first, pour beef broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Add your sweet potatoes and cook til soft, about 30 minutes. Strain sweet potatoes and allow to cool. Meanwhile, cook your bacon and drain the grease into a bowl, to remove the burnt bits, because we will use it in the treat batter. Now chop bacon into tiny bacon bit size pieces.

 

 Now, in an electric mixer or with hand mixer, beat eggs for one minute. Add cooled sweet potatoes, bacon grease, peanut butter, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt, mix on medium speed til blended well. 

Next, on low speed and in batches, add oats to mixture. Batter should be getting a bit thicker. Still on low, sprinkle flour in ever so lightly, and not all at once. Use a spatula to scrape down sides. Put in refrigerator and allow to chill about an hour, for better rolling.

Now, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roll treat batter into 1 T. balls and then shape into hearts or bones, or just bake as normal cookies. The dogs won't mind if they aren't cute. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown.  It is best to bake them on parchment paper. 

Good Boy!!






3 comments:

  1. Nelson's got it good man... if Trump only knew what he was missing he would hate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bernie says he wants to meet nelson and his treats in the backyard asap. love your thoughts on love. dogs are it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried reading this! :)Carson

    ReplyDelete