Monday, March 1, 2010

the chicken dance (and the rooster run down)



8:45 pm Monday night: T.G.F.W.

 

Thank. God. For. Wings.

I'm writing this at the end of my day. Next up Tuesday, and Monday will be just another day, long gone. It was a hectic one, filled with go-to's, be there's, and need to get done's. But the day wasn't completely "cuckcoo", because not once, but twice, I got my hands on some chicken.

 

That is one of my favorite thing about the bird, having it in my hands. Once it has made it into my kitchen, I mean. Real life, I'd be real hesitant about holding a chicken. I've cared for chickens more than you'd think. When I worked at Fairburn Farm, in British Columbia, I fed the ladies, collected their eggs, and cooked them for breakfast. But I tiptoed around them. I think I am bothering them, and it bothers me that I don't know their next move. What are they thinking?! And how about that time I met the rooster?? Oh, that rooster. What was he thinking?!!

It was summer, I think the summer after I worked at the B&B. I was back in NC and I was house sitting outside of Chapel Hill, and why, I don't know, but the couple had 28 chickens and 1 rooster. I was minding the coop, feeding and all, and noticed the big guy with the red mohawk at my heels. He jutted at me. So I flew the coop. I ran. He was right behind me. It was the only time in my life, I have run for my life. I ran up a hill towards the house, lost my footing and fell...and I looked back, sure I'd be pecked, but there he was, going round in circles at the bottom. He still got the best of me I tell you.

Tessa, my sister, laughs hysterically at that story. She says she can't help it, the thought of me running from a rooster! Ridiculous. 

So for reasons that I can't even explain myself, I have an affinity for them both. Chickens and roosters. But only in a way I can control. I was the 1 out of 6 children that volunteered to trim the fat off the chicken breast because I liked the way it felt in my hands, cold and slimy. When I tie up a bird with twine before roasting it in the oven, I feel important. Chicken wings are always the highlight of my day...

And oddly enough, I admire, and collect roosters!


(don't worry about the directions, I like em' this way)

Today, for the family that I work for, I made a roast chicken, with a side of stewed okra and tomatoes. And for myself, well, you see me dancing up there. If you haven't roasted a chicken before, put it on your "need to get done" list, and follow this recipe. It's a dinner for the making. And let me know what you think about holding that bird!


Ingredients:

(for chicken)
3-4lb whole chicken
3 lipton tea bags, or black tea
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 lemon, quartered
6 rosemary sprigs
6 cardamon pods
small handful black peppercorns
water
kitchen twine (which I want to say thank you to my sister, Myriah, for the coolest twine spool ever)
olive oil
1/4 yellow onion, cut into large pieces
bunch of fresh thyme
salt
ground pepper
2 T. dried sage

(for veg)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, from can, finely chopped
1 T. thyme, leaves removed from stem, and chopped
salt

Method:

First, at least 2 hours prior, you want to brine your chicken. Once, I had it this way, I can't imagine not taking the effort. You are going to want to pull the bag of "goodies" out of the center of the chicken. Nelson enjoys the innards. Okay, fill the tea kettle with water and bring to a boil. In the largest pot or bowl that will fit the chicken with out over flowing, steep the tea bags for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the salt, sugar, 1/2 the lemon, 2 rosemary sprigs, and spices. Stir to dissolve. Add the chicken, and quickly, fill with water to cover the bird. Put in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. 

 

When you are ready, preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and pull out bird and pat dry. Drizzle a little olive oil in the inside cavity and sprinkle some salt as well. Then stuff it with the other half of the lemon, the onion pieces, the 2 rosemary sprigs, and the thyme. Now, carefully slip your hand under the skin above the two breasts, and rub the flesh with a little bit of salt (1/4 t.). Next, sprinkle the outside of the bird all over with salt, ground pepper, and dried sage. 

Now the important part, tie up the bird. For help, click here, or ask me. Pour olive oil in the palm of your hand and rub all over the bird, and tuck the last two rosemary sprigs under the top of the twine.


On a parchment paper layered baking pan, breast sides down, place the bird in the oven for 1 hour. Flip over, I use a towel and stick a wooden spoon in the hole to maneuver,  and cook breast side up for 1 more hour.

While chicken is roasting, saute your onion on medium high heat for about 5 minutes, til softens, stirring here and there. Add garlic, still stirring a bit, allow to cook for 5 more minutes. Add can of tomatoes, minced chipotle, thyme, and season with salt (to taste). Mix together well, cut heat down to low, and allow to simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.


When you are ready to serve, cut away chicken twine, and cut chicken in to separate pieces. Place in casserole dish, with onions and lemon from the inside, and pour chicken juices all over.


Dinner is ready.


2 comments:

  1. sick tat!!!
    and your wing dance looks really similar to my sunday afternoon cheeseburger dance.. hope you're doing spectacularly swell..
    -Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. teach me that dance! and if it is a double cheese burger, what then?!

    ReplyDelete