Thursday, December 10, 2009

Aint no thang (dedicated to Tessa, one of my favorite persons to eat wings with)

This is not going to be the last post you read about chicken wings. I have a thing for chicken wings. I could list the many reasons, but it could go on and on and on and on...so I will just give you one for now.

When I lived in Chapel Hill I used to drive to Hillsborough every Tuesday night down Old NC 86, a winding 2-lane road (because I am scared of I-40 westbound) for buy 6 get 6 wings free night at the Wooden Nickle. I could just about finish them. They are good sized, not breaded, and you can pick your sauce. If you are a heat seeker you must attempt the "Wooden Nickle Freakin Hot". I was going to attach a link but it seems to be the wrong website, it is for a chain in Georgia.

Still, today they rank top place for wings in my book. It seems too far these days, but thinking about it, it has been stupid that I haven't made the trip. It is a pub with locals and people throw peanut shells on the floor. A man at the bar once taught me to eat the whole peanut shell and all. Hillsborough is the kind of town you drive through and think "I like this place, I really like this place". I always want to stay for awhile.

In Raleigh, I am not too excited about any restaurants wings...
(click read more to see recipes)
I will say the best item on the menu at The Pit are the wings. They are smoked and a little sweet. The PR has pretty good wings. They come naked with the sauce on the side. However, wings at home make the best kind of dinner! They are usually about 3 dollars a pound at Whole Foods(all natural) that usually gives you about ten wings. Ten wings for 3 bucks! Better deal than a 50 cent wing night.

Wing Recipe #1
feeds 2
You will need a large bowl, a grater or zester if you have it, and a baking pan, and next time you go to the grocery store grab some parchment paper, I use for just about anything that goes in the oven.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. chicken wings
2 garlic cloves
1 twig rosemary
1 lemon
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper
*I like a dash of cayenne

Prep: Mince garlic and rosemary.
In large bowl mix wings with garlic, rosemary, and grate lemon over the wings with the smallest grate size. Cut lemon in half and squeeze half of lemon over wings. Next, sprinkle salt generously over wings. Add olive oil and I always mix with my hands and then wash them.
Put in fridge for about an hour or how ever long.

Cooking: About 1 hour before dinner, move one rack in oven to highest level and preheat to 500 degrees. Put wings on baking pan lined with parchment paper if you have it so they wont stick, SKIN SIDE UP. (wipe off garlic a bit because it will burn)
Let them crisp up, check them in 10 minutes. If they look crispy enough move the pan down to lower rack and turn oven temperature down to 200 degrees.
Let cook at 200 for about an hour. Gives you time to make your dipping sauce.

Who knows what they put in ranch these days. If you have mayonnaise and vinegar(any) at home you can make a real quick and tasty dip. I am the patron that always asks for extra dip. I like blue cheese, but you don't always have blue cheese at home. (or maybe you do.) Here is a recipe I make, I usually have these ingredients on hand.
Makes about 1 cup

You will need a whisk and a good sized bowl.



Ingredients:
1 T. apple cider vinegar,*1 t. secret bbq seasoning mix,2 big scoops of mayo, 1 T. buttermilk (optional, it just makes it smooth), and salt to taste of course. (add finely chopped herbs if you have them)
First: Whisk together vinegar and seasoning mix in bowl. Add mayo and buttermilk and a pinch of salt. Whisk til smooth. Finger lick it for a taste. Add more salt if you need to. Refrigerate.



Wings are way more fun to eat with friends.

Left, Phuc my neighbor helped me make last night's wings.

Right, Guillermo loves chicken wings!




*I found the secret bbq seasoning mix at Nahunta Pork Outlet at the Farmers Market. I used it when I make bbq. The ingredients say, "A mix of spices and salt".

2 comments:

  1. I miss Wooden Nickel Fricken hot! I made wing style drumsticks again recently. Too much meat, not enough sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good wings!!! Good chicken wings! Fun times! Good times! Interesting times! :)

    ReplyDelete