Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Collards cure for a busy day

Cooking collards is just the opposite of the day I had yesterday. It was very busy, and more than a few customers at the Shoppe needed special attention. (One man had me individually bag 15 cupcakes with stickers and bows while he waited, talk about the pressure.) I took order after order and all the while our credit card machine was down. I think Time Warner is trying to sabotage At&t during one of the busiest shopping weeks of the year! As I boxed up holiday cupcakes by the dozens and made people happy, I couldn't stop thinking of all the things I have going on this week.  Just trying to keep them all in my head stresses me out. I have to show up for so many different people, including myself to keep earning a living. Just to name one thing I have to do, I will be making 150 deviled eggs by Friday.
Christmas is such a yearning to feel happy and loved. All the business kinda stomps on the spirit a bit. It makes me feel stressed.  I will tell you what though, while making collards I was forced to slow down. I relaxed.

You see, collards take their time, they need time to be good. That's how the flavor develops. Collards are hardy and can grow in the winter. And I have to mention, it is really one of the only vegetables I find filling.

Last night, after eating collards with chicken and rice I found myself sitting by the tree wrapping a present for my dear friend Carson. I think collards let way for a little Christmas spirit. I felt better.

Cooking collards is simple and warms the kitchen with good smells. Plus I read eating collards on New Years Day will bring you wealth all year. Make a pot! To see my recipe click Read more below.
New years Day Collards
feeds 4 large portions. When I cook for my family of 8 I double up!


 Ingredients:
1 bushel collards
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
1 T oil (olive oil, coconut oil,butter, lard, whatever kind)
2 smoked ham bones
red pepper flakes
water
salt
3 T. lard or butter

Prep:
First rinse each collard leaf. You can plug up sink and fill with water and let collards have a bath (no soap though) or do it one at a time if you don't mind the repetition.


Next, stack leaves on top of each other and roll up tightly length wise. Cut into 1 inch slices, then chop into squares peices. This technique is called chiffonade. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiffonade)You will end up with a big pile of collards.

BEFORE YOU PUT COLLARDS IN POT mince garlic and chop onion.

Cooking:
Saute onion in oil on medium high heat about 5 minutes, or 4 if you are impatient. Add garlic and ham bones and don't leave them alone, mix around with wooden spoon. If onions look like they are starting to burn turn heat down a little. Add all the collard leaves. Immediately add a pinch of red pepper flakes and 2 pinches of salt (1 and half teaspoon to start and more to taste later.) Bring pot over to sink and cover just above collards with water and turn heat back up to high stirring once or twice for thirty minutes, then down to medium heat. Put a lid on it, cracked and let go for about three hours.

Every now and then stir collards and check the heat lower it if the bubbles are too strong.  You are going for a strong simmer here.

The longer they go the better but if it is time for dinner and all the water hasn't boiled out yet, that's ok, drain off a bit, then add your butter or lard. Taste and season with salt if you need to.

I always burn my tongue with the first bite. Give it a blow.


4 comments:

  1. I love pomegranate face!
    love, carson

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't like greens but i sure do like you!

    i'll be sure to pass along the recipe to all my green lovers.

    love you,
    keck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want to go and make some greens. They would be so good right now.

    ReplyDelete