Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Burger List

So let's get down to business and talk about how I came to move the burger at Tobacco Road in Raleigh, to the top of my list. Bumping down the PR burger to the number 2 spot, and Coney Island Cloos at Mission Valley to third place, and sorry to say the Raleigh Times burger is no longer in the top three. (It really only made the list for the in house-grind and the beef quality, however, sadly, it always seemed to come out a little bland and slightly cold, proof being the cheese was not melted. Melted cheese is an American favorite, burger or not!)

To be honest, I usually don't think of Tobacco Road when I think about going out to dinner. I assumed "sports bar", "sports bar food". I got told.  I personally will apologize to the Amra brothers.  I have the pleasure of knowing them because their bar, Amra's, is neighbors with The Cupcake Shoppe.  It seems it is a hot spot for music, drinking, and good company nightly. I should of had more faith in the fact, that people as caring and generous as the Amra brothers, would not settle for anything less than a welcoming place, for non-sports fans such as myself, and well thought out food, that is dang good too.
     
First choice for dinner was The Pit, their wings are the best item on the menu. If you question me on that, you haven't had them. After a long day, tired and hungry, I called to place a take-out order.

"Oh, I'm sorry," the girl who answered said with a tiny voice, "the kitchen said we can't do take out orders anymore, because we have been so busy."
    
 They have the best wings in town, but apparently you can only get them if you commit to going in and sitting down. I didn't feel like going to The Pit, I wanted the wings! I sweetly replied, fake, yes, "OK, thank you," and hung up.
     
I ended up at Tobacco Road because they had wings on their menu and they were close to home.  I pulled up a seat at the bar (always the best place to eat in a restaurant if you are hungry, because you always have eye contact with who is serving you), and Andy, quite the courteous bartender, mentioned that you can get a burger anyway you like because they grind the meat in house. It was a whole new ballgame! Pun intended.
   
I ordered a 1/2 lb burger rare. I bounced in my seat a bit when I read I could put pimento cheese on it as a topping. Pimento cheese, another southern love. And of course, I added bacon, along with the usual lettuce, tomato, and mayo. I also chose to wash it all down with a little bubbly, in honor of our decade coming to an end.
   
I tend to talk a lot when I am excited. I was gabbing on about Only Burger, a burger truck in Durham, saying how I loved their motto..."It is the only burger you will ever want". I haven't been, but I am willing to face my fear of driving on I-40 just to try that burger. Literally as I was saying that, my burger was put in front of me, I slathered on the mayonnaise (both sides), and got started.


   
Love at first bite, as the saying goes, and immediately I thought that this could be the only burger I could ever want.

It was hot, juicy, well seasoned, and the pimento cheese had melted just enough to stay in its place. The bacon was crisp with that delectable fatty chew, and it was just thick enough to not make it on the thin bacon list, that usually includes diners and fast food restaurants. It was actually cooked how I asked, which was nice, to have it your way and get it that way.  The kaiser roll was a good choice. It held up well and was slightly crisp on the outside, while soft on the inside.I couldn't eat my pickle. There is only so much room in little liza lou! I love pickles, but I tend to fill up on what is the most satisfying first. You know I don't like the food at a place, if I eat my pickle up first and pick at the rest of my food. Oh and I had a side of slaw, which I could tell was homemade. (Which is rare these days.)  A less delightful bagged version from US Foods, usually ends up as a disappointment on my plate at other local restaurants. (I will not mention any names yet.)
    
Today it is all about Tobacco Road and how happy they made me. The burger was freaking delicious, under $10, and I was full. A good bang for my buck, which is important these days. I encourage all of you to stop in and taste for yourself.  You may start bouncing in your seat too, when you hear they have a Happy Hour.  I believe it is Monday-Friday from 4-6pm and 11-1pm, you can get the very burger and a few other bar bites, like wings, for under $3.
    
Such a great burger and a great experience, which made for a great night. Afterward, running to the car in the rain, didn't even get me down. Isn't it all we need sometimes, just a good ending to another midweek day.

Thank you Tobacco Road.



TR website

3 comments:

  1. You're making me hungry! Burgers and Wings... Throw in a blog on Pizza and I think I'll explode!
    Great blog Liza... Thank you. You speak to my foody spirit... and you still put a smile on my face.:-)
    Thanks
    ~Ben
    (next time we'll do a Zinfandel with that burger and see if it gets any better...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben! I hope you enjoy many a good burgers in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tobacco Road Burger with pimento cheese is the heat

    ReplyDelete