Sunday, January 24, 2010

a bowl of bacon and eggs



Sometimes the best brunch in town is found inside a Mother's fridge.





Sunday has come and gone and I hope you all had a good weekend. And I hope you had a chance to eat a really good breakfast. During the week who has the time, to take the time, to eat one? Because I have a bit of trouble getting out from under the covers, I usually hurry through breakfast, eating my instant oatmeal in the bathroom while trying to pull off looking like I am fresh and ready for work. And sometimes, I consider Starbucks the perfect solution if I have to. But over the weekend, there is plenty of time for breakfast, and opposite it may be, it is exactly the thing that lures me out of bed.

I know it is a thing to do to go out to brunch. But in Raleigh, there are very few places that serve up bacon and eggs til 2pm, and every weekend there are more people discovering them. It seems the trendier it gets, the less I go. I usually don't like to wait too long to eat the first meal of the day and I also realized that my bowl of grits is a lot cheaper than the one at the restaurant and I don't have to bother the server to ask them to bring me some salt. If I want the brunch experience, I find my own way. And today, I opened Cettie's fridge and found a few key ingredients to make it happen.

Eggs. Sunday bacon. Butter. Avocado. Goat cheese. Tomato. Coffee and OJ. What luck! Or maybe it's not luck, but just a Mom thing. The door to their home and fridge are always open, and they don't mind when you raid it. I have to say though, that it is lucky that I have such a good one.

To see what I had for Sunday brunch, click read more below.




Ingredients:
(serves 2)

6 eggs
2 T. half and half or buttermilk
very small pinch of salt, 1/4 t.
6 bacon slices
1 avocado, pitted and chopped
1 T.unsalted butter
2 oz peppered Celebrity Dairy goat cheese, crumbled
1 small tomato, cut into wedges
salt and pepper

Method:

In a large bowl whisk eggs with half and half and a pinch of salt. Now, cook your bacon on medium high heat. Pay attention to it, flipping it when it has crisped to your liking. Set on a paper toweled plate for grease to soak off.

Pour a little bit of the bacon grease into a different pan and turn heat on to medium high. Sear avocado bites on all sides for about two minutes until a light golden brown. They will be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Remove from heat and add to bacon plate. Wipe off pan with paper towel and return it to stove.



Turn heat on to medium low, or low if you have the patience, and add butter. (Low heat is the key to good scrambled eggs.) Once melted, add eggs, and gently scramble til they are cooked to your liking. I prefer soft scramble where there is still a little run. Cut off heat and fold in half the goat cheese.



In a cereal bowl, serve up the eggs topped with avocado bites and goat cheese, with a side of bacon and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now pour yourself some OJ and sit down to a really good breakfast.

love,
Liza lou



Eating scrambled eggs out of a bowl is the Liza lou way.
(It keeps em' warmer for longer.)









No comments:

Post a Comment