Monday, January 18, 2010

Crying Quiches


That sounds like an oxymoron to me. Quiche, just like Monday's weather, is the sunniest of menu items. It is like a big freakin smiley face in its pan, cheerfully "egging you on" to eat it. Quiche is easy as pie to make and eat, and it is a representation of eggs in their best form...carefully baked, providing tender mouthfuls that just seem to glide off the fork.  Not to mention you can put god knows whatever in it. Today, I used olives, store bought roasted and marinated tomatoes, and broccoli. And vegetarian or not, one will still enjoy a big meatless slice of quiche. If they don't, then they must have a problem with eggs.

I have had a problem today, a problem of the heart. Relationships are across the board as diverse as the egg itself. There are as many different ways to cook an egg, as there are to be in a relationship. And who is to judge, because it is just as easy to mess up with one another, as it to ruin an omelet, or to break the yolk when frying an egg. Whether it is a trivial thing such as breakfast or a life changing event,  it can still feels like a failure nonetheless. 

I usually, most always listen to music when I cook, (and chit chat the ear off of who ever is sitting up at the counter), or if alone, incessantly think at the whirlwind rapid pace that little liza lou tends to go. But today, I cried.

Cracking each egg was heartbreaking, not just a ritual. And if you are wondering if it is boy troubles...it is more than that, it is troubles of the heart. And when you have a heart as big as mine, the sadness overflows. I felt lost and alone in my devoted kitchen, but even on the saddest of days the cooking must go on. 

And it did. For it is my living, and my way. I cook for a family of three who depend on me.  You should never push yourself, when emotionally you have reached your limit, and that is why I made them the utterly nutritious, delicious, quiche. And believe me, I couldn't help but notice what a joy I pulled out of the oven. Looking back, it was a good day, no, it was a great day for quiche.

To see today's quiche recipe, click read more below. 
(and to my family and dear ones, thank you, it was more than quiche that made my day and yesterday better.)







Ingredients:
(makes one quiche)

1 bunch broccolini (I inaccurately consider it baby broccoli)
kosher salt

1/2 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
8-10 kalamata or black olives, pitted and sliced
6 eggs
1 1/2 cup half and half (you can also substitute 3/4 cup with heavy cream, mmmmmm...)
1 pie crust, store bought or homemade
1/4 cup store bought roasted tomatoes (at olive bar), chopped

1/2 cup grated cheese ( I used a goat cheese for my boss, but use whatever you like, can afford, or fancy)
cracked pepper

Method:

First, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Then, in a medium pot bring water to a boil, add a heavy pinch of salt and place broccolini in for just 2 minutes. Quickly remove and run under cold water to stop cooking. (This cooking technique is called blanching.) Once cool, chop off stems, just leaving heads.

Next, saute shallots, garlic and sliced olives in pan on medium heat for about five minutes until shallots are softened. Transfer to a plate and let cool on the counter.

Meanwhile, in large bowl whisk together half and half and eggs. Add a pinch of salt, aka, a half a teaspoon.

Pour egg and cream mixture into pie crust leaving about 1/2 inch unfilled, and sprinkle broccolini heads, olive-shallot mixture, chopped tomatoes, and grated cheese. Top off any leftover egg mixture if room. You don't want to over flow. (When it bakes it will puff up, but will sink back down to normal.)
Finally, add a bit of cracked pepper to uncooked quiche.

 Bake for 45 minutes and allow to cool 10 minutes to set.



Take a bite and enjoy.  Eli, the 2 year old I cook for sure did.

No comments:

Post a Comment