Friday, January 8, 2010

The Fried Chicken Project



  
It all started with a 3 lb headless chicken, just chillin at the grocery store. I took her home, pushed up my sleeves, and unwrapped what would become for the next two days, The Fried Chicken Project. The recipe to follow if you want to take the adventure on your own is written in the color of fried chicken.


Day 1:
As I blog along, I have decided that I will learn some basic cooking techniques. Lesson one: debone a chicken into the appropriate cuts. Legs, thighs, breasts, you get it. I was inspired to do so by this really awesome cookbook my brother gave me for my birthday. In Ad Hoc at Home, there are step-by-step instructions and even though it took me 4 different knives and one duck taped pair of janky scissors, I had that little lady cut into ten fry size pieces, ready to go. I did ask the book "What??", loud and confused, a few times, thinking maybe I would hear Thomas Keller's voice, calmly explain where the joint between the leg and thigh exactly is as I struggled through the bone instead. Point was to learn, not to do it perfect, and both I did with great effort. (In the picture you only see 6 cuts, I wasn't quite done, but still so proud I had to grab my phone to take a photo.) I saved the scraps you see in the corner to dutifully make a broth, still they sit in a yogurt container in my fridge.


It was brine time. I let the chicken soak in a salt-sugar water (with other add ins for flavor) over night and had something else for dinner. The brine made for a juicy well-seasoned chicken. I didn't mean to get your hopes up, but good things do come to those who wait. In the case of fried chicken, it's definitely true! My go to chicken brine recipe goes like this:  In a large bowl steep two black tea bags in 4 cups of water for a few minutes til it has that strong flavor color. Add 1 cup salt and 3/4 cup of sugar, two rosemary springs (you can find them overgrown in just about any neighborhood), 4 smashed garlic cloves, a halved lemon or two, 2 bay leaves, and 1 t. red pepper flakes. Stir til salt and sugar dissolve. Add 4 cups cold water. Then let the chicken soak for at least 2 hours, or as long as over night. The longer the better.

It's time to fry...



Day 2:




First off, remove the chicken from the brine and into a clean bowl. Pour buttermilk all over. It is going to sit on the counter til you are ready to fry, or at least one hour and as close to room temperature as you are comfortable with.

Meanwhile, I made my favorite side of all time. Slaw. You never want to fry, or cook meat cold, because it will freak out, seize up, and be tougher than you would like. I never knew this til last year, and now I am very strict about doing this.

Now, it was time to get my flour mix together. But when I looked at the flour jar and saw it empty, out of my mouth came an F bomb, accidentally.

It's been cold this week, very cold. The kind of cold, that once home, little liza lou prefers not to leave again. But I had no choice, and in the name of fried chicken, I headed back out there to the nearest store. The gas station on the corner of St. Mary's and Peace. I ran in and first thing asked Jima, the kind little man behind the counter, do you have flour? He pointed to the roses. I smiled real big and said, "I'm frying chicken", and he not being a southern native, knew. He pointed to the back and I spotted it quick, headed home to warm back up along with the breasts and thighs, soakin in the buttermilk.

For the flour mix, in a large container, whisk 6 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup garlic powder, 1 T. cayenne, 2 T kosher salt, and some ground pepper if you have it.

The thought of fried chicken had kept me going all day. It was almost nine and time to eat, and as the oil was beginning to bubble, so was I with excitement.  If you could have seen me dancing on the kitchen stool to my teeny bop pandora station you would of known to what extent. Picture it. (I know you just laughed at me.)

When it is dinner time, that is the time to heat your oil in a large pot. Fill with at least 2 inches of canola or peanut oil. It is extremely helpful if you have a thermometer because a good temperature to fry chicken is 350 degrees, but you can just put the temp on med-high and "wing it". Fry the dark meat first, the legs, wings and thighs. Remove from buttermilk mixture and let excess drip off. Drop in flour mix and shake around to coat. Knock off excess flour and place in oil. After 2 min, move the pieces around with tongs and be careful of the splatters. Cook for for about 10 minutes, til crispy and a dark golden brown. Pull out with tongs and let sit on a baking rack or plate, covered with a paper towel. Resist the urge to sample, it is very hot! Next, fry the white meat, same method for about 8 minutes. Transfer to towel. Before eating, allow the chicken to cool for about 5 minutes, I don't want you to burn your tongue.
The two day wait had finally come to an end. I plated dinner and pulled up a seat at the bar, atop my phone book booster seat. That's right, I am 27, and need a booster seat to maximize my eating experience! I had the pleasure of sharing one of the best meals of 2010 with Mitchell, and you may not know, who is from Mississippi. So that boy loves his southern food! I picked up that slightly steamin greasy chicken leg with two hands, as not to lose it on the way to my pie hole! With a crunch that first bite held no surprises. It was good as good can get. I have never had a bad piece of fried chicken, but home fried, sure makes for the best!



Ingredient list:
3-4 lb whole chicken

For the brine:
2 black tea bags (Lipton is great)
Kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 rosemary sprigs
4 garlic cloves
1 lemon
2 bay leaves
1 t. red pepper flakes

For frying:
1 bottle canola or peanut oil
buttermilk
6 cups flour
1/4 cup garlic powder
1 T. cayenne
salt
black pepper







1 comment:

  1. WE LOVE YOU LIZA~LOU!!! I'm def. making some of these, you are a culinary genius!!! XOXO~Hazen&Christine*

    ReplyDelete