Friday, January 15, 2010

Meat and "Potatoes"



I am in love with Chuck.

Who's Chuck you ask? Oh but just one of the most affordable cuts of beef at the market, and he is quite the looker, always shining at me from behind the window! Some people might say I am settling, arguing that he is too fat and just plain ordinary. They think that there are better cuts out there, like the leaner Sirloin, or the first-class Tenderloin.  

But I am a simple girl at heart. I do appreciate the finer cuts of beef and it's not that I don't think that I am worth more than a $2.99/lb cut of beef, but when it's love, it's love. Chuck is there within my means, always available to me, even on my poorest of days. And let us not judge him for his fat content! It is one of his best qualities, providing a flavor I am grateful for after every bite. Chuck is full of surprises, offering a variety of food options, ranging from the hamburger, to a pot of chili, with hundreds of recipes in between. Which brings me to my current favorite...

The Chuck Roast.  I would take beef cooked to smothers and shreds, in it's own fat, combined with salt and pepper, on any given day of the week. I use the 3-wrap method and I guarantee if you can eat with a fork, you can make this chuck roast!  And keeping with the "less is more" meal concept, I can't think of a better food to pair it with, than the potato. When mashed, the potato provides you with a smooth comfort and warmth, but today I invite you to try a new combination, that will give you that same feeling.


I have been a fan of celery root (also known as Celeriac) for years, and I won't keep it a secret from you anymore. For the longest time I thought it was the root of celery, just because of the name. And I have blabbed that over and over, but I was wrong. It's not. Same family, different plant. Hey,  it's ugly for sure, but again, let us not judge. It is low in calories, for those of you who fear the fat of the chuck roast, will feel a sigh of relief when consuming the mere 40 calories a cup. It is also high in potassium and vitamin C. And it can be eaten in many ways, but mashed is my favorite and I prefer it over potatoes and that "full ugh feeling" that the carbs leave me sitting with after dinner.

So next time you are at the grocery store, look for the ugliest vegetable on the shelf and take it home for the first time. Then be sure to head over to the meat department and give Chuck a second glance, and think of all you can do with him. With those two, you could even make a simple, dang good dinner plate such as this.




To see how to make it, click read more below. (get it tess?)




Ingredients:

1 lb chuck roast
kosher salt and pepper
1 T. olive oil
2 rosemary sprigs
parchment paper, saran wrap, aluminum foil (a must have)
2 celery roots, peeled with carrot peeler, or knife, then roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. butter
1/4 cup sour cream
2 large carrots, cut into strips, then cubed
1/2 bag frozen peas
2 tablespoon mayo
1 t. apple cider vinegar
2 t. dill, chopped
parsley for garnish


Method:

First, preheat your oven to 275 degrees. Next, liberally salt and pepper chuck roast on all sides, and allow to sit on counter for about 30 min to an hour (allows salt to soak in and beef to come up to room temperature before cooking). Then, on high heat quickly sear it on all sides, about 1 minute per side.

Now, for the three-wrap method:


1. Transfer chuck from pan to a large sheet of parchment paper. Place the rosemary sprigs, folded in half, on top of beef. Push the beef close to one corner of paper, leaving a large triangle in the corner and fold that corner over top of chuck. Then fold the two sides over the top as well. Now, roll it up, so that you are left with a neat package.

2. Next, saran wrap it. (Don't worry, it won't melt.) I take the roll out of the box and wrap it tightly around all sides of chuck.

3. Wrap in foil, just as you did the parchment paper, nice and tight.

Good job! Now, place 3-wrapped chuck in oven on pan and let roast for 4 hours.

For the celery root:
When it is getting close to dinner time, in a large pot of water, boil the celery root for 30 minutes to an hour, til soft and fairly mushy. Drain in colander and let sit for a few minutes to drain off excess water.  Meanwhile, in the same pot, saute the garlic in butter on medium low heat for about 3-4 minutes. Then add celery root back to pot, stirring, 1 more minute. Cut off heat and add sour cream. Mix with hand mixer or potato masher. Season with salt and pepper.

For the peas and carrots:
In a medium pot of salted water (1 T. of salt), boil cubed carrots 4 minutes. Then add frozen peas to pot with carrots and cook for 3 more minutes. Drain in colander.  Allow to sit and let water drain off. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together mayo, apple cider vinegar, and dill.  Add peas and carrots to bowl and mix gently. Season with salt and pepper.

When your roast is done, pull out of oven and carefully open package with scissors or knife. Be careful it will be hot. Let sit for about 5 minutes til serving. Season with salt and pepper if needed.


Enjoy the magic.

love, liza lou









No comments:

Post a Comment