Tuesday, January 12, 2010

meatballs and all the little things


As I worked behind the counter today, handing over cupcakes, the one thing all my customers had in common, besides indulgence, was the cold. One by one they told me, exasperated, "It's cold out there." I could only see it by looking out the window.  But later on as I walked Nelson through the middle of Cameron Park, the leaves cracked under my boots and my scarf would not stay in place, the wind chilling my neck. As we headed up the sidewalk past the rosemary bushes and towards home, we saw a navy blue truck with mud splatters up the side. It was tattooed with bumper stickers; I can only remember two. One was devoted to the UNC radio station and the other read in all caps, "WE WILL SURVIVE".

I stared at it for a minute and it made me think about what is getting me through the winter...(aside from countless bowls of oatmeal) and I want to share it with you. Not the obvious reasons, but the little things I crave and enjoy, and the warmth that they bring me.  And of course, for sure little Liza lou will tie it all together with a recipe that will warm you up as well.



It is the origami polka dot pig mobile I have. They are literally, hanging out, and it is a relaxing thing to gaze upon. The way the Trader Joe's sesame snack, spread with peanut butter and rolled like a sleeping bag, reminds me of when I lived in San Francisco and obsessed over a similar sesame treat.  Go on and laugh, but my plastic crab and lobster friends.  Oh how I could never eat them! I also, in private, I blare Chris Brown's Forever, and sloppily dance around the living room.  It is ridiculous fun! And recently, what has motivated me the most is my aloe plant.


Last week, it froze outside, and lost 4 of its strongest leaves. I brought him inside to thaw out and sadly stared at him for a few days.  I began to notice the leaves left were standing tall. I ran my fingers up them and they were stronger than ever. I cannot deny that even though he had a rough go with the cold, it did not get him down!

And my new favorite little thing...the meatball.  It felt so good as I rolled it between my hands, and how it smelled simmering in the broth was even better! So folks and friends, if you haven't made dinner at home in awhile, cook this.  You will enjoy the amusement of chewing on a meatball and the warmth of the broth down your throat all in one (pause for ooooooooo and ahhhhhhhh). It may just become one of those cheap thrills, pun intended, and added to your list of little things to get you through these cold days!

Recipe to follow.



Ingredients:

1 small spaghetti squash (what is this?), halved, seeds scooped out like a cantelope, and roasted
salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 rosemary sprig, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
1 egg
1/2 cup mozzarella, grated fine
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2 cartons beef broth, or 8 cups homemade broth
1 large can whole tomatoes, chopped and juice reserved
1 bay leaf
1/8 t. red pepper flakes
1 T. olive oil
chives, chopped
salt and pepper, other seasonings to taste

Method:




First, preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Fill baking pan with 1/8 inch of water and a large pinch of salt. Place spaghetti squash halves in face down. Roast for 30-45 minutes. Pierce with fork to check, it should go in easy when done.


Next, in butter, saute on medium-low heat, onions, garlic and rosemary until onions are soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix ground beef, egg, cheese, breadcrumbs, and onion mix together. Season with 1 T. salt and fresh ground pepper. Roll into golf size balls between your palms and set aside.

In large pot, bring beef broth, tomato juice, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes to a boil. Bring down to medium heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Now, heat olive oil in skillet on medium high heat.  Sear meatballs in small batches, browning on all sides. Use handle to shake skillet evenly to roll meat balls for even searing. (If you over crowd pan, you will end up steaming them.  We are not cooking them just browning the outside.)

Transfer, meatballs to broth and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Then, cut your heat down to low and let hang out while attending to the "Sketty" squash.



Pull squash from oven and carefully scrape insides out with fork and into a bowl. Use tongs as it will be very hot! Once all strands are removed, transfer to broth. Cut heat off.

Add chives and season with salt, pepper, or any other spices desired. Allow to cool a few minutes before ladeling into bowls.

Blow...and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you man handle that meat Lou Lou!! Nelson looks so cute!
    xo, Cars

    ReplyDelete