Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Big Salad





I like to believe that out of the thousands of thoughts that run through our heads every day, each one of us have a few staples that make an appearance that seem to be on repeat with out even the press of a button. It could be for some of you, facebook facebook facebook, or that special someone who doesn't know you are even thinking of them. See, we never know what each other is thinking. It's actually one of the best gift's this life has given us, our thoughts are just our own and we can do with them what ever we want. 

I will let you in on one of my obsessive day in, day out, day dreams.

"What will I have for dinner?"

See, unlike most normal eaters, I never just figure it out later. And it is only when I can not find an answer or I am just burnt out on cooking, defeated, do I go "grab something to eat." Yesterday, it only took a few rounds of replaying that question in my head to know that I wanted a BIG SALAD.

Some of you may have tuned out already at the mention of salad, and believe me, I am usually in your group. Little Liza lou is admittedly a carnivorous animal, sporting a butcher's cut tattoo of a pig on her back, and guess what department at Whole Foods she most often brings cupcakes to...that's right, to her butcher friends behind the meat counter. And if it is a bad day, a big steak is the only cure, to be eaten alone with out any sides.

But, yesterday wasn't a bad day. Yeah sure, it was as hectic as any other, however, it makes perfect sense to me why I craved a big salad.  Let's be honest here, now that we are old enough not to have to eat what the parent puts in front of us anymore, isn't it usually what we crave on a given day, that ends up finding a way into our pie holes.

I know you are still wondering why the heck a big salad? Well, simply put, 2010 is about growing up and eating more vegetables. It is my time to take responsibility for myself, to make decisions that will make way for a better Liza lou. Every year that passes, I look back on the mistakes and steaks I made and don't regret, but realize. I realize that it is up to me to make different choices. This year, (deep breath) I choose more vegetables for better health, and I crave to put myself first. I will find a way to both. And don't worry my butcher friends, you will still get your cupcakes.



The only place I know where you can get a big salad is at Monk's Restaurant on Seinfeld. "Get out!!"
It was always Elaine's choice and it drove George crazy! If you can't find one anywhere else, see my recipe for The Big Salad and for my Green goddess dressing. Click read more below.


 Ingredients:
(makes enough for 2 salads, with leftovers)

2 small beets, or 1 medium, stem and leaves removed, roasted and sliced
olive oil for drizzling
1/2 head red leaf lettuce
2 cups arugula
1/4 purple cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, peeled grated
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
1 tomato, sliced
salt and pepper
roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds
Green goddess dressing:
1 garlic clove
1 small handful fresh dill, thick stems removed
1 small handful fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup mayo
2 T buttermilk
2 T. lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
canola oil, or vegetable oil (not olive oil for the taste is too strong)


Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place beets on a large piece of foil, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast beets for 1 hour, or until you can easily pierce with a fork. When done, while beets are still hot, remove skins by rubbing with a wet washcloth or a paper towel. I love having beet stained hands.



Meanwhile, break lettuce leaves by hand and rinse and dry well. Place in largest bowl you have. Add shredded cabbage and set aside. Now make your dressing.

In a blender or food processor place garlic and herbs and chop well. Add mayo, buttermilk, and lemon juice or vinegar and blend well. Season with salt and pepper. Now, with the blender on, very very very slowly add a thin drizzle of canola oil til you have reached the consistency of salad dressing, thick but easily pourable.



Add dressing to large salad bowl, by pouring down the side of the bowl and it will sneak down to the bottom. Don't pour right on top of the lettuce. With your hands mix salad with dressing. Still with your hands messy, place a big portion of salad on your plate. Rinse hands and top with beets, carrots, avocado, tomato, and season with salt and pepper. One more thing, sprinkle liberally with pumpkin seeds.

The good thing about a big salad is you can eat it with meat if you like. Last night, I had salmon on top of mine.

Enjoy your big salad.











2 comments:

  1. You warm my heart with your thoughtful writing and you are my one and only FOOD GURU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember that red cabbage cole slaw with avocados you used to make mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete